Alley in Ilidza
An attractive promenade from the spa – tourist complex Ilidza to Vrelo Bosne, planted with trees of plane-trees and chestnuts in length of 3.5 kilometres, represents the most beautiful alley in B&H. The alley consists of 726 trees of maple-leaved plane-trees, planted in 2 rows in 1892, and dozens of wild chestnut trees planted in 1888. This green "tunnel" has always represented a genuine tourist attraction and a peculiar monument of Nature.
Ali Pasha's Mosque (Alipašina džamija)
One of the most beautiful cupolaed mosques, built in 1561 beside the tomb of the founder of Bosnian governor of the sandjak province (sandzak bey) Ali-pasha, a native of Sarajevsko polje (Sarajevo field). He died in Sarajevo in 1557, and prior to his death in the sickbed, he dictated his testament ordering thereby a mosque to be built next to his tomb with the funds from his foundation, which was obeyed.
The word "Baš-èaršija" literarily means "main marketplace" and designates the area of market square around the fountain called „sebilj“, and later this name spread on the whole nowadays Old Sarajevo's marketplace. It is formed in the middle of XV century as the economic part of a new oriental settlement whose urban skeleton is made of facilities built by the funds from Isa-bey's foundation. The market-place was built on the model of an Arabian „suk“, a line of spacious lots linked by a complex of a number of entangled little streets. In use from 1896.
The Bosniac institute – Foundation Adil Zulfikarpašiæ
The Bosniac Institute - Foundation Adil Zulfikarpašiæ is a cultural and scientific educational institution that deals with promotion, development and research of history, culture, cultural heritage, literature, religion, and all forms of art of Bosniac people, as well as of other peoples in Bosnia and Herzegovina. The Bosniac Institute complex consists of the Library, the Bosniac Institute Club, an administration building and a Turkish-bath, which all together cover the surface of more than 4000 square meters. The Bosniac Institute Library contains over 80,000 of librarian units, as well as a rich collection of works of art, a collection of valuable oriental handwritings, multimedia publications, photographs, etc.
The Bijambare cave
Between the villages of Nišiæi and Krivajeviæi, in the municipality of Ilijaš, a forest road about 2 km long branches out from the main road Sarajevo-Olovo and leads through the beautiful setting of the conifer forest towards the Bijambare area. Immediately by the mountain home "Bijambare" (altitude 950 meters above the sea-level) there is the most important natural rarity – the Bijambare Cave, in one part open to visitors. The Bijambare Cave consists of the three speleological facilities: the Upper Bijambare Cave, the Middle Bijambare Cave that is made of four halls rich in cave dripstones. In the fourth hall, the biggest one, there are numerous stalactites and the ceiling is covered with jewellery. In its jewellery, diverse in their shape and size, this cave hall is one of the most beautiful in B&H. In the vicinity of the Cave, there are the brook Bradic with a lake and a water-mill, and the brook Bjelila that traverses the Bijambare forest and clearings in the woods. The Bijambare area, together with the Bijambare Cave, is one of the rare excursion sites that suits equally all admirers of Nature: it represents a genuine pleasure for the admirers of cave, clear waters, pine forest and the forest silence.
Botanical Garden of the National Museum of B&H
Botanical Garden is placed in the central part of the city and makes a component of the National Museum complex. It is the only monument of this kind in Sarajevo. It was established in 1913, and its founder was an eminent botanist Karlo Maly. The surface of the Botanical Garden is 14,270 square meters and more than 2,000 of plant species are grown in it. The Garden contains extremely valuable collections: of endemic species, Tertiary relicts, and our floristic rarities. In a beautiful setting you can see in one place a number of exotic kinds of trees, as: Japanese cherry (Prunus serrulata), sequoia (Sequoia), ginkgo (Ginkgho biloba) etc. A special attraction represents the fountain in the central part of the Garden, surrounded by ample vegetation that gives the visitors an impression of the Garden as a romantic flourishing park.
Brusa Bezistan (domed market building)
It was built in 1551 by the Grand Vizier Rustem-pasha who, beside his state business, dealt with the silk manufacturing in Brusa. This silk form Brusa sold in this bezistan was exactly what the building was given the name after, Brusa betistan. The bezistan roof is made of 6 big and 2 small cupolas, and among the arches, there were two small rooms-treasuries, where the Sarajevo guildsmen kept their archives. Even nowadays this bezistan in Sarajevo serves its purpose-commerce.
Butmir – Neolithic settlement
The first human settlements in this area derive from the Neolithic period. Around 2400-2000 B.C.E., in the Butmir settlements, located on the banks of the river Željeznica, a Neolithic settlement was developing, and archaeologists discovered it in 1893-1896. The greatest value from that period represents the ceramics, which through its originality of forms and combination of various ornaments, with its simplicity and purity, assorts the Bumir culture in the line with the most important manifestations and attainments of that age.
The Emperor's Mosque (Careva džamija)
One more beauty in a range of the impressive Sarajevo cultural monuments and nowadays spiritual centres. A fir man (edict) for its building was issued by the sultan Sulejman The Magnificent in 1560.
Gazi Husref-bey's covered market building (Gazi Husrefbegov bezistan)
This massive basilica-like stone building extends in length of 109 meters along the street bearing the same name. It was built by the Ragusa masters by the order of the then Bosnian sandžak-bey (governor) Gazi Husref-bey, in period from 1542 to 1543, with 52 shops lined in two rows in the interior of the building, with the third row of shops from its outside, along the street Kujundžiluk (area of coppersmith shops). The textile, mainly imported goods were sold there. With the neighbouring Tašlihan (stone house) it made an organic unity.
Gazi Husref-bey's Mosque (Gazi Husrefbegova džamija)
The mosque was ordered to be built by a Bosnian governor Gazi Husref-bey in 1530. At the same time, the dooryard walls with the gates were built, as well as the fountain in the place of which the present fountain was built in 1892. Besides, nowadays complex of the Bey's Mosque consists also of the two octagonal mausoleums, the mekteb (Muslim primary school) building, a hot-spring fountain, and the muvekithana building (for prayer calling).
The Town Hall (Gradska vijeænica)
It represents the most beautiful and the most representative building from Austro-Hungarian period, built in pseudo-Moorish style. (Most buildings left in Sarajevo after Austro-Hungarian rule were built in this style, synonym for Austro-Hungarian period in B&H: logo of that age). The first project was designed by Karl Paržik, and since minister B. Kalaj did not like it, building of the new one was trusted to Alexander Witek. As an inspiration in this project design served the mosque of Kemal II, which was the reason of his two visits to Cairo. Since A. Witek allegedly, just because of this project, grew mentally ill and committed suicide, finalisation of his project was trusted in 1894 to Æiril M. Ivekoviæ. Parallel to the project design and development, building was ongoing from 1892 to 1894. The Town Hall building was officially open and put in use in 1896.
Cemetery at Alifakovac
Bosnian, Bogomil, Ortodox and Catholic necropolis and Islamic cemeteries are scattered on every step of the land. Bosnian cemeteries are beautiful, mysterious, and exalted. This one at the Alifakovac glade, above the same-named settlement in Sarajevo, is one of the most beautiful examples of the local memorial architecture and skills of the stone-mason masters.
Igman - Bjelašnica
Only 25 km from Sarajevo there is a natural wonder to be found in the mountains of Bjelasnica and Igman. It was here that the greater parts of the XIV Winter Olympic Games competitions (Alpine and Nordic events, and ski jumping) were held. Hotel capacities in the area of the Bjelasnica and Igman mountains can be observed integrally due to the complementary nature of the hotel facilities and the various sporting activities offered, both in winter and in summer.The reconstruction will be focused on the destroyed hotel capacities and will aim at improving on its previous status, since they had originally been built in order to meet the specific requirements of the Winter Olympic Games. www.sarajevo-tourism.com
The Spite House (Inat kuæa)
In order to build the City Hall on Mustaj-pasha’s mejdan (circular field) in 1892-1894, it was necessary to destroy two Turkish bath and one private-owned house. The Turkish baths were destroyed, while the house owner, old Benderija requested as a reimbursement a purse of ducats, and beside that he wanted the house to be moved, one by one brick, to the other bank of the Miljacka river, opposite to the City Hall. So it was done, and because of the spite of the owner, the house was named the Spite House.
Jahorina is part of Dinari mountain range. The highest mountaintop Ogorjelica is 1916 m above the sea level. At summer it is covered with green grass and at winter even up to 3m high snow. It is one of the high mountains. Extraordinary configuration, a lot of quality snow, comfortable climate, tracks for alpine skiing, as well as mild slopes ( Rajska Dolina) are the reasons why Jahorina is one of the most beautiful and most famous ski center. There are in average 175 days a year when Jahorina mountain is covered with snow, from October till end of May. An average snow cover height in February is 106 cm Staying in Jahorina is interesting during any season, particularly during winter because extraordinary ski conditions. Preparation of ski slops in Jahorina for all Olympic disciplines enabled, as it is well know organisation of Olympic games, and other international ski competition. A huge bowline hitch covered with snow are great for skiing and sleigh riding, while mountain chain with 1600 meters high is extremely attractive for all visitors. www.sarajevo-tourism.com
The Lakes on Treskavica
The mountain Treskavica is one of the most beautiful mountains in B&H. It is decorated with great and thick conifer and leaf forests, as well as with numerous clearings with ample grass. A special decoration of Treskavica is its five beautiful glacial lakes that represent the most distinctive traces of the glacial period on this mountain. The lakes represent the genuine natural rarity and a mountain attraction, and they are located at the altitude of more than 1500 meters above sea level. The glacial lakes on Treskavica: Veliko (The Great Lake), Bijelo (The White Lake), Crno (The Black Lake), Platno and Malo jezero (The Small Lake), represent valuable ecosystems with a specific flora and fauna. By the end of 50's, these lakes were artificially stocked with fish, but this experiment succeeded only with the Great lake, in which you can find the trout. The Great lake is the biggest and the most beautiful (220 meters in length, 185 meters wide, and 6 meters deep), it is at the altitude of 1548 meters above the sea level. The lake water clear like crystal and untouched environment offer unforgettable moments, especially in hot summer days, although in other seasons the beauty and the attractiveness of the lake is not a bit diminished.
The Entrance Tower at Ploèa
One of the three Entrance Towers inside the old Vratnik town constructed upon the initiative of regent Ahmed-paša Rustempašiæ during the period between 1729–1739.
The Coppersmith Street
One of the streets in the old Sarajevo market-place originating from the coppersmith bazzar after 1528. The street got its name after the coppersmith stores which produced copper handicrafts (kettles, tableware..etc). Nowadays, the coppersmiths have adapted their production to the contemporary needs and instead of the old copper tableware; they produce items of artisticly-decorative value that they sell as souvenirs.
The Cauldrons on Željeznica
River Željeznica, which spirings beneath Mount. Treskavica in a beautiful and attractive forest landscape, has a multitude of rapids and whirlpools in its flow. On this river, on the locality above the village Turovo, there is an exceptionally beautiful and rare natural phenomenon known as the « The Couldrons on Željeznica». These couldrons represent the most attractive site in the canyon of river Željeznica. The water that has been flowing for many years at this site with its stong current and with the materials that it carries has hollowed out at its bottom, in the rocky underground, round recesses, the cauldrons-pots, and it leaves an impression that the water is boiling in there. The cauldrons are half a meter – meter deep and 0,30 - 0,70 cm wide in diameter. They often come across each other in the riverbed. This valuable natural phenomenon presents an important tourist attraction.
The Goat Bridge
The first among innumerous bridges on the road from Sarajevo to Constantinople, the last between Constantinople and Sarajevo. For centuries, the Bosnians and the Bosnian valuables have crossed this masterly constructed stone arch on their way to the center of the mighty Ottoman Empire and the Eastern world, but over it came into Sarajevo other, new assets.
The Latin Bridge (Princip’s Bridge)
The bridge got it name after the nearby Latin, i.e. Dubrovnik trade colony. It was built in 1798. Across the street, opposite the bridge, Gavrilo Princip assassinated the Austro-Hungarian Archduke Ferdinand and his wife Sofia on the 28.06.1914. For a long time, Sarajevo was solely or mostly known in the world for the assassination.
The Morica Inn
Due to the needs of the expanding market-place and the traders that were coming from faraway countries, the caravanserais – motels were built. One of these, the careva husrefbeg’s Morica Inn was constructed in the first half of the 16th century. It was built in respect to all the standards of that period: a large, enclosed, square court-yard, storehouses and depots for horses on the groundfloor. On the floors there were bedrooms. Morica Inn had 44 guest rooms with the capacity of 300 beds. The Inn burned down in a fire in 1957 but it was restored during the 70’s.
The Bridge at Plandište- The Roman bridge
In symbolic terms, the Goat Bridge was the eastern and the Roman Bridge, the western entrance into Sarajevo. This bridge over river Bosna belongs to the architectual heritage of the Turkish rule. It was constructed between 1530 and 1550 and untill today it has preserved its authentic shape. In the sturcture of the bridge, there are ornament stones from the Roman period, and due to this the bridge is known among the people as the «Roman bridge».
The Orthodox Cathedral
One of the largest Orthodox churches in the Balkans, the Orthodox cathedral in Sarajevo is dedicated to the Most Holy Virgin and it was constructed upon the initiative of the citizens of Sarajevo between 1863 and 1868. The church was built by Anreja Damjanoviæ – Zografski who was a member of the great family of architects, contractors, artists, icon painters, wood-carvers and stonemasons from Veles.
The church is a three-naved basilica in its base with an engraved cross and five domes. The domes are built on tambours with the central dome being larger than the remaining four. The church is vaulted with semi-oval arches. In front of the entrance there is a baroque style gilded bell-tower. The interior walls are decorated with painted ornaments. In the lower zone, a large area of the walls painted in ornaments simulates the marble stone construction look. The arches, the vaults and the apsides are also solely decorated by ornaments.
The design of the Cathedral was done by Josip Vancaš where he combined elements of Romanesque and Gothic style thus creating a synthesis that distinguishes this church from the others of the same kind. The interior design was also done in the same style. The construction of the Cathedral began in 1884 and it was completed in 1889 when it was turned over to the Sarajevo Urban Municipality.
Sebilj Fountain in Bašèaršija
"Sebilj" or "Sebil" is an Arabic word meaning “road”, but in this context the term defines a very old charity institution, an unusually designed fountain at a city square, where an authorized man would scoop the water from the trough with a saucer and give it to the thirsty free of charge. The Sebilj Fountain in Bašèaršija is the only structure of such kind in Sarajevo, constructed in 1891 and most probably designed by Josip Vancaš. The Sebilj Fountain that was built in 1754 by the Bosnian vizier Mehmed-Paša Kukavica located a little further down the street than the existing one was burned down in a fire in 1852.
The Old Orthodox Church in Varoš
The first mention of the church is in 1539, but according to it architectural design it is assumed that it was built in mid-15th century. This is certainly one of the oldest sacral buildings in this region. The greatest value of the church is its collection of icons and old books which are kept in its treasury.
The Old Jewish Temple
It was built under the directive of the Rumely Bey Sijamus-paša in 1581 together with a large Inn named as the Great Courtyard. The Courtyard was intended to serve as the residential district of the Sarajevo Jews. The today's synagogue got its look after the restauration works in 1821. It is a large three-nave building with a loft, vaulted by four large domes in the main nave and four smaller ones in the lateral naves. .
Medival Bosnian Standing Tomb-stone
Bosnian standing tomb-stone (steæak) is an autochthonous medieval tomb-stone, decorated by plastic scenes from life, hunting, knight’s competitions and epitaphs in “bosanèica” , the local version of the Cyrillic writing. The Bosnian tomb-stone are monuments and guardians of the secret of a mysterious and unclear period in the Bosnian history. They are the guardians of the secrets but also a key for unveiling and deciphering the mysteries of past and the present Bosnian man.
Before the Europeanization period began in Sarajevo, there was a dominant, unique culture of living that literally symbolized the view towards life and the philosophy of life of a Bosnian man. Comfortable, bright, convenient houses with a courtyard enclosed by a big wall from the outer world and a backyard, where built on the steep slopes of the city. The house completely guarded the intimacy of the family and provided an insight into the life of the backstreet. On the other side, over the backyard, there was an intact view. Svrzo’s house is the most beautiful, preserved example of an exceptional Sarajevo housing architecture of the
Dobrinja – Butmir Tunnel
720 m. of the tunnel were built under the airport runway from the 27.March 1992 to 30. July. The tunnel represents a symbol of a four-year-long resistance to the siege of the City and its citizens, a resistance against genocide and urbicide conducted on the City by the aggressor from 1992 to 1995.
The Tunnel Museum
Working hours: 9 - 18h
Bajro i Edis Kolar
Tuneli 1 Street (Donji Kotorac 34)
tel. +387 33 466 885 (19 - 8h)
tel. +387 33 628 591 (9 - 18h)
Višegrad Entrance Tower
An integral part of the fortification architecture in Vratnik town comprised of ramparts, fortresses, entrance towers and gates and constructed upon the initiative of the Bosnian regent Ahmed-paša Rzstempašiæ during the period between 1729–1739.
Springs of river Bosna
The springs of river Bosna is located in the southwestern part of the Sarajevo valley on the foothills of Mount Igman. It can easily be said that they represent the most beautiful part of Sarajevo and that they are the pride of their citizens which have always spent their free moments in these magnificent surroundings next to the ripple of river Bosna. The presence of water, dense vegetation and a fresh breeze blowing from Igman is an unforgettable atmosphere and experience to all the visitors. The nature generously extended its hand to the man in this area, and there is a certain feeling of intact nature. Nevertheless, the most attractive site is the spring of river Bosna itself, which gets its headwaters from some of the strong karts wells on an altitude of 492 m above sea level on an area of Mount Igman. Since this water is of high quality, the City water-supply company has placed a pump station next to the spring. The flora and the fauna surrounding the spring is very rich and unique, contributing to the beauty of the landscape and adding to the value of the environment.
The Waterfall at Skakavac
The waterfall at Skakavac is located 12 km north of Sarajevo, above village Nahorevo. That is one of the greatest and most attractive waterfalls in BiH and it stands for a real tourist attraction. The waterfall is 98 meters high and placed in the landscape of exceptional beauty. The surroundings are one of the most heterogenic areas in that region dominated by spruce and fur and beech and fur forests with spruce on more pronounced slopes. On shallow carbon grounds in the vicinity od the waterfall, there are termofil forests and underbrushes of eastern hornbeam and autumn locust as well as eastern hornbeam and manna ash. The rocks surrounding the waterfall have a very interesting vegetation dominated by endemic and relic types. The waterfall at Skakavac is for more than one reason, one of the most attractive tourist sites in the vicinity of Sarajevo
The National Museum of BiH
Four connected pavilions with an entrance terrace and a botanical garden taking up the central stage comprise a block of museum buildings. The architect of this whole complex and the main supervisor during the construction works was Karlo Paržik, who was then the chief construction advisor to the National Government. Special attention was devoted to the ethnographical department for which architects Josef Pospišl gave designs for the stairways and Æiro Truhelka did the interior design of the first floor using applicable motives. The construction of the Museum complex lasted from 1909 to 1913.
The museum is open for visits:
Summer working hours Winter working hours
Tuesday, Thursday, Friday:
10 - 14h From Tuesday to Thursday:
10 - 14h
11 - 19h
10 - 14h
children, senior citizens 1 KM
expert tours of the collections 20 KM
Zmaja od Bosne 3
tel: +387 33 668027